Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Who bought all that Walmart ammo?

By Donald Sensing

I took this picture of the ammunition cabinet at Walmart in Franklin, Tennessee. But the view is identical in Cookeville, Tenn., and Bradenton, Fla., the latter being a store I visited over the weekend while I was in town on other business.


I have an inside source in Walmart who tells me that the internet rumor going around that Walmart has stopped buying ammo until it knows how Washington will shake out on gun control is simply false. In fact, my source says that stores continue to get ammo all the time but it is snapped up by customers immediately. Quickest to sell are 5.56mm and 9mm ammo.

But why did Walmart sell out so quickly after the Sandy Hook shootings? The reason is simple. My source says that the very day of the shootings, managers of licensed gun stores went straight to their local Walmarts and cleaned the shelves out. They took the ammo back to their own stores, locked it up and let it sit for a couple or three weeks. Then they put it out for sale at double what they paid.

Source cited one Walmart where a gun-store manager came in and bought $6,000 worth of ammo, paying in cash. That was every box of ammo the Walmart store had in stock.

Bookmark and Share