Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Obama’s gun mandates explained

By Donald Sensing

Obama’s New Executive Orders:

In which blogger Phelps translates Obama-speak into plain English. Listing the actual mandates individually, he restates what they really do in a simple declarative sentence. For example:

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
Tell FDLs how to do something no one is ever going to bother to do.
Well, not so fast on this one. In fact, licensed gun dealers actually already do this all the time. In 2006 I bought a trap shotgun on gunbroker.com (gasp! Over the internet!) but because it was an interstate sale the law required the gun to be shipped to a licensed dealer in my state to effect the transfer. When the gun arrived, I drove to the dealer and he called in the background check on me before giving me the gun.

I don't agree that "no one is ever going to bother" to do this because it is already being done. What is an open question is just how many private sellers and buyers will bother to do it for an in-state, in-person transaction. Even so, Obama's idea that dealers need instructions on how to effect the check on a private sale doesn't make sense to me. I think this is just eyewash.

As for the other 22 mandates explained in plain English, I count seven that Phelps says really mean nothing more than enforce the law as it now exists. Yep, probably so.

Update: Comic relief is provided by The Huffington Post, which posted this afternoon that Obama's directives are "bold and potentially historic." To which I reply, "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!"

Bookmark and Share