Friday, December 12, 2008

The Day the Earth Stood Still gets panned

By Donald Sensing

There is general agreement that Keanu Reeves was the perfect choice to play an emotionless, wooden alien in the just-released remake of the 1951's sci-fi classic, The Day the Earth Stood Still. MTV's review, for example:

Here, Reeves never cracks a smile, hikes an eyebrow or, for all we can tell, draws breath. There may be puddles of spilled beer more expressive.
The new release has been universally panned.

As for me, I wrote a takedown of the original "classic" (Lord knows why it is thought such) back in 2003. Unlike miost everyone else, I simply don't think the original has stood the test of time. Read here.

PS - I was blogging in 2003, but not in this site. I am, over time, purging the two older blogs I wrote on of post that are no longer relevant and transferring the others to this site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The link to the Bates online story appears to be down. I'd love to read it; if you find it again, please post the new link.

I agree w/your thoughts on the original version. The film seems to say more about Hollywood's mentality at that time than anything else, although the cinematography and "atmosphere" are interesting.